My Favorite Photographs of 2018

December 31st, 2018

NOTE: Five new images have been added at the bottom of this post after the initial upload. The Impressions of Light images were taken during the last light of 2018.

Greetings from the Sierra Nevada. It is that time of year again when we all look back at the events of last year and look forward to the year ahead. Many photographers have developed the good habit of editing a collection of their favorite images for the year. The process of self-assessment is a vital part of artistic growth. In the day-to-day rush of life, we don’t often stop to see trends in our own image-making. By turning back the clock, we can see if we’re stuck in a rut or are hopefully making great progress.

I have included capture details and presented the images in chronological order. I hope you will visit my blog and add your comments or favorites at the bottom of the page.

May 2019 brings you joy, peace, and exciting photographic opportunities.

Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year!   Bill

California Quail feathers, Ahwahnee, California 2018
Sony ILCE-7RM2, #10 50/2.4,
1/1 second at f/16, ISO 100

Bougainvillea petals, La Quinta, California 2018
Sony ILCE-7RM2, #127 90/2.8,
1/125 second at f/16, ISO 800

Thank you for viewing my photographs. I hope you will leave your comments below.

Happy New Year!

Here are a few images I’d like to add to the list. The first BW was simply missed during the upload. The impressionistic images were taken after I uploaded, taken during the last light of 2018!

Cathedral Spire and Mists, Yosemite National Park, California 2018

Sony ILCE-7RM2, FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS,
2.50 second at f/16, ISO 100

Grasslands and hills at twilight, Madera County, California 2018
Sony ILCE-7RM2, FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS,
2 second at f/5.6, ISO 100

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “My Favorite Photographs of 2018”

1. Let me know your favorite images!

2. All are so motivating to me to continue to be creative and to look at all that’s around me and not just the big picture. I need to remember to keep an open mind when I have my camera in hand.

Thank you for your visions.
    John

3. Steve Zigler says:

Love the intimate nature of these images. Very expressive! Thanks the continuing inspiration!

4. All good work, but Marcia and I like the rocks the best.

Mike.

5. Barry says:

Sunrise over Yosemite with falls off to right (1/125 sec). Inspiring! I didn’t know that camera would take Canon lenses.

6. My favorite images:

– Upper Yosemite Fall, Yosemite National Park, California 2018

– Bougainvillea petals, La Quinta, California 2018

7. Jennifer Hayes says:

I love the Merced River Reflections with the Sunrise over Yosemite a close second. All are absolutely gorgeous. Thank you always for the gorgeous nature shots. Best wishes for the new year!

8. Tom Whelan says:

Here are my selections:
    Cascade Falls, Yosemite National Park
    Ponderosa Pine and Incense Cedar trees
    Ice Patterns, Ahwahnee, California
    Ripples, Merced River
    Sunrise over Yosemite Valley

I’ve been making a year-end list for a while – a nice way to look back, and think about where you want to go creatively.

Tom

9. So my favorites this year are:
    Pear Tree in bloom; Pine branches, Upper Yosemite Falls, Peacock feathers,and Merced River Reflections.

10. Peter Beazley says:

What an enjoyable and great selection from a master. I particularly like salsify #10. Thank you for the continued inspiration.

11. Mary Alston says:

Favorites:
    Sunrise Over Yosemite Valley (both versions)
    Cascade Falls
    Merced River Reflections
    Dogwood and Forest
    Bouganvillea Petals

I also love your new book which I received a few months ago.

12. Rudolf Veverka says:

Here are my favorites:

-Sunrise Over Yosemite Valley
    -Upper Yosemite Fall
    -Merced River Reflections
    -Dagwood and Forest
    -Bougainvillea Petals

I wish you a good deal of the Beauty and Success in your next Image-making.

13. Amy says:

I love all the images. What comes across to me is simplicity. This includes the color, tone and composition. Following you helps me see the world differently when I venture out with my camera. Thanks!!!

14. Tom Kommes says:

I’m inspired by all of these images!

Four of my favorites:

– Merced River Reflections

– Succulent

– Peacock Feather

– Salsify

Thank you for sharing !

15. Doug Hardy says:

Beautiful images! My favorites are:
    – Sunrise over Yosemite Valley (both)
    – Upper Yosemite Falls
    – Cascade Falls
    – Merced River Reflections
    – Stones
    – California Quail feathers
    – Ripples, Merced River

16. Mark Kinsman says:

So many great choices! My current favorites from your 2018:
    Merced River Reflections
    Dogwood and Forest
    Grasses and Ice
    But then there are the leaf and floral photos – love them all !

17. Bryan Timmons says:

Hi William

Inspiring images, all of them, and good to see a couple from our foray in November.
    For me:

1. Ripples; I can’t look past water
    2. Stones: such a strong image with great colours
    3. Salsify: the light!

Have a great 2019; I have your images as my guide.

18. Beth Howell says:

Happy New Year. You made so many interesting images with the light box this year – thank you for sharing and inspiring.

My favorite is the quail feathers – I just want to gaze at that pattern all day. Next favorites are the salsify, the rocks and the colorful impressionist series at the end.

19. Hugh Sakols says:

Hi Bill,

Happy New Year. I like the following:
    Stones: I like the play of colors and wonderful reflections
    Pine Branches: It just works and I like the textures
    Oak and Fog: A magical time in the foothills
    Mushrooms: I used to know my mushrooms. I like the natural history look.
    Dogwood and Forest: Finding order in complete disorder.

Take care,
    Hugh Sakols

20. Bruce Dart says:

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for sharing your inspirational work. You certainly raised the bar! I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite as I was impressed with them all!
    Happy 2019

21. Brad says:

Hi Bill,

My favorites are: ripples, upper Yosemite, cascade falls, and ponderosa pine. A special mention to the salt picture for vision and creativity. Happy new year and best regards. Looking forward to seeing what 2019 brings!

Brad

22. Mark says:

Beautiful work – full of insight and discovery. Wishing you a creative and healthy 2019 Bill.

23. Carlos Barboza says:

It’s very, very hard to pick one. You have such a diverse selection of stunning images; there’s so much to admire and to learn from.
    In the end, the one that impressed me the most was “Pine and Sunbeams”.
    Obviously I can’t not mention “Ripples, Merced River” as a quite special one.

Keep on with your inspiring work, I can hardly wait to see what you’ll come up with in 2019!

24. Russ Bishop says:

This is a beautiful and varied collection, Bill. Your Yosemite images always define the many moods of the Valley for me, but I’m really enjoying your new intimate high key series are well. Wishing you all the best in 2019!

Cheers,
    Russ

25. All of them are wonderful . . . and examples of Bill’s exceptional and inspirational photography.

As I concluded in a 2017 article:

“While I have always loved Ansel’s photos and those of Mathew Brady taken during the American Civil War, I am more interested in color photography than black-and-white. Indeed, I concluded near the end of our time with Bill—and viewing photos at his Web site—that he had actually surpassed the great Ansel, and was his logical successor and photographic heir.”

Bill is a very special person.

26. P.S. All of them are excellent. However, if I had to choose one, it would be: “Grasses and Ice, Merced River, Yosemite National Park, California 2018.”

27. david distefano says:

sunrise over yosemite valley #1, Cathedral Spire and Mists, Grasslands and sunset #2. i may have told you this before but i did a workshop with you, jeff nixon and lewis kemper, when we both had our natural hair color. i really loved your cibachrome prints at that workshop. question: on the web there is much discussion of the effects of diffraction caused by small f stops. since you seem to have no problem using smaller f stops, do you see in your prints a real loss of sharpness. if i know a print is going to be a palladium print i don’t hesitate to use smaller f stops but i resort to focus stacking so i can stay at f8 at the most for prints that will be made in color or b&w. also when will you have your prints shown again at the ansel adams gallery? your work continues to excel and when i need a kick in the pants i come to your sight.

28. Thanks for your feedback! I still have some of those Cibachromes! I even printed some of them in Ansel’s darkroom.

The “perfect” way to take a “perfect” photo is to use the “perfect” aperture. At most print sizes I make up 20×24, whether I use f/11 or f/22 doesn’t matter much. Apparent sharpness throughout the image, front to back, is more important to me. My approach dates back to my view camera days and before focus bracketing was easily available. I had a student recently using a Fuji camera that had autofocus bracketing built in. That’s what I want in my Sony! Quick and easy, so as not to inhibit my image-making.

New show in November:
    William Neill
    November 17th – January 4th

29. Jim Stephen says:

I had a really hard time picking a favorite! I guess I will have to pick the water polished stones. I love the colors.

I have been inspired by your photographs ever since I went on a Photographic group workshop with you many years ago. The work shop was in the Great Smoky Mountains; based in Gatlinburg Tennesee.

30. david distefano says:

another quick question for you bill. do you ever feel when creating an image in the field that you are leaving something on the table by not using medium format digital, because when i compare your work with those who use mf i see no discernible difference. i love my d850 and spending enough to buy a new truck just seems like money not well spent. hope to see you during the oakhurst art festival in october.

• Yes, I do a little bit but it’s not practical for me so I don’t sweat it much. Only going beyond 20×30 or so would it be very visible. That said, when Sony comes up with a high MP camera, like 70MP, I’ll buy in!

Hope you can make it: