My Favorite Photographs of 2017

January 1st, 2018

Greetings from the Sierra Nevada. It is that time of year again when we all look back at the events of that last year, and look forward to the year ahead. Many photographers have developed the good habit of editing a collection of their favorite images for the year. The process of self-assessment is a vital part of artistic growth. In the day-to-day rush of life, we don’t often stop to see trends in our own image-making. By turning back the clock, we can see if we’re stuck in a rut or are hopefully making great progress.

I have included capture details, date and time of exposure, in chronological order. I hope you will visit my blog and add your comments or favorites at the bottom of the page.

May 2018 brings you joy, peace, and exciting photographic opportunities.

Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year!   Bill

Best of 2014
Best of 2015

Best of 2016

Here is the link to my Outdoor Photographer Magazine essay on the subject from 2010:
Best Of The Year
An annual review of your images can point you in new directions of creativity
By William Neill | March 30, 2010

1/2 second at f/20, ISO 100
@William Neill

Autumn Maple Leaves and Merced River, Yosemite National Park, California 2017
ILCE-7RM2, 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM,
1.30 second at f/25, ISO 100
Copyright © 2017 William Neill

Autumn Maple Leaves over the Merced River, Yosemite National Park, California 2017
ILCE-7RM2, 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM,

1/6 second at f/11, ISO 100

Pebbles, Pine Needles and Oak Leaves, Ahwahnee, California 2017
1/2 second at f/16, ISO 200

Ice, Pine Needles and Oak Leaves, Ahwahnee, California 2017
1/2 second at f/20, ISO 100
Copyright © 2017 William Neill

37 Responses to “My Favorite Photographs of 2017”

1. Yuvaraj B PatiL says:

ReaLLy Amazing Photography…… I Like It So Much

2. […] Greetings from the Sierra Nevada. It is that time of year again when we all look back at the events of that last year, and look forward to the year ahead. Many photographers have developed the good habit of editing a collection of their favorite images for the year. The process of self-assessment is a vital […] Source: FS – Nature Photography My Favorite Photographs of 2017 […]

3. Inge Bayer says:

Just lovely to see your beautiful landscape and nature pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

Have a great time in 2018!

4. Thanks for sharing your comments. Do you have a favorite?

5. Mary Alston says:

I have three favorites – Autumn Oaks, Dogwood in Bloom and Autumn Maple Leaves and Merced River. I love the colors and the intricate details in the first two. I like the colors the peaceful feeling of the Autumn Leaves image.

6. Karpani Burns says:

They are all so very beautiful, each in their own most perfect way. My favorites are Oaks in Snowstorm, Salsify Seeds at Sunset #2, Nautilus Shell and Pier Reflections at Pismo Beach. You are so gifted and I always appreciate your sharing! Happy New Year to you and Sadhna!

7. ISIK TANSAL says:

Dear Neill
    I am following your photographs. All of them fantastic. As a nature lover, they give me tranquility. They inspire me about my photography tours.
    Best regards and happy merry new year.

8. Thank you for sharing this collection of your brilliant fine art photographs. I find them inspirational and can get a sense of your heartfelt vision when looking at them. Stunning work. The Oak Branches, spring, Ahwahnee, California 2017 and Pebbles, Pine Needles and Oak Leaves, Ahwahnee, California 2017 really speak to me.

9. Brenda Tharp says:

Heh Bill, always lovely to see your faves, many of those are now ‘ours’, too! Like the backlit shells and leaves series you are doing. Of course the Yosemite pics are also wonderful! Cheers for the new year ahead!

10. Shirley says:

Of the 35 you posted, I chose 6: first one (Oaks), Salsify Seeds #2, Pier Reflections, Two Big Leaf Maple Leaves, Autumn Maple Leaves over Merced, and Autumn Oaks. Picking one favorite difficult, but I really, really like Autumn Oaks.

11. Andrew Fields says:

William,
    I love all your images, and find for me it’s a great inspiration to do a yearly retrospective of your work from you website gallery, and, of course, the prints of yours I have hanging at home.

12. Ron Ritcher says:

William,
    As always, an inspiring set! Love the first image, the pier reflections, and all the macro work with leaves, pebbles, etc. Couple gear questions: see you have tried the new 24-104 f4, and knowing how Canon’s version was a workhorse of yours, wonder how you feel the Sony compares. Also, was a little surprised at your 70-200 choice; since I’ve rarely noticed you using a wide aperture, why the 2.8 version? Better IQ than the 4? Again, thanks for sharing!

• Well, it turns out that My Lightroom plugin pulled the wrong data for the lenses used. I only have Cano lenses at this time. Thanks for pointing that out.

My 70-200mm was purchased in 1995! I use f/2.8 because I’ve needed the faster lenses for my travel photography when I visit India.

Thanks for commenting here. Cheers.

13. Phyllis Peterson says:

Hi Bill,
    I enjoyed looking at your images from 2017!
    I chose a few favorites: Dogwood Bloom over Merced
    Salsify Seeds #2
    Pier Reflections
    Sweet Gum Leaves
    Cottonwood Leaves

Have great year in 2018!

14. Hugh Sakols says:

Hi Bill,
    Once again, I’ve enjoyed looking at your work for the year. I particularly like the Maple Leaves on Granite and Dogwoods on the Merced. The naturalist in me likes the leaves and shells on a white background. Editing my photos from the year give’s me a little bit of meaning to my obession of taking photographs. Beautiful work!

Here is my collection of favorites from the year: http://www.yosemitecollection.com/Best2017

15. Bruce Dart says:

It would be hard to pick a favorite….as mentioned they are all great. Salsify seeds at sunset #2 I really like as well as the pier reflections. Great work. I always enjoy your newsletter! have a great 2018.

16. “Hi!” Again today-tonight, Bill!
    2/ Oaks in Snowstorm — very NICE, a mesmerizing gossamer effect 🙂 !
    Purple Plum Blossoms — we have lots of opportunity for these in Japan 🙂 ! I like the blue sky background and the long vertical, Japanese-Chinese effect
    Dogwood in Bloom — too much river 😉
    Dogwood in Bloom — NICE
    5/ Two Datura — Exquisite, captivating !
    1/ Pier Reflections — GREAT MAKE 🙂 !!
    Boulders and Surf — I like this one
    Nautilus — I have one, I’ll have to try it, Mr’Weston 🙂
    Autumn Maple Leaves (blurred) — Nice Abstract
    4/ Autumn Maple Leaves — VERY NICE !
    Chinese Pistache Leaves #2 — the only one of all the leaves I really cared for
    3/ Autumn Oaks, Ahwahnee — Almost abstract, mesmerizing
    You have me thinking to go through my year and picking out my favorites! I take a lot for publicity and a diary, but also I am always working at being artistic. “Thank You!” for sharing your photography this was for all to enjoy. I did my master thesis on Ansel who read my draft, gave me high marks but passed before he could receive his bound in AA’RED copy! ~~my’BEST, Paul

17. Always an impressive collection of years work William. Thanks so much for continuing to take part in my year end blog project of best photos of the year. It means a great deal you continue to take part. BTW “A Retrospective” arrived and it’s stunning. Congratulations on the release of your book.

18. Alan Majchrowicz says:

Another outstanding selection of images William! I always look forward to seeing your yearly review, and your fresh approach to subject matter. Keep up the good work in 2018!