Antarctic Dreams – a developing portfolio

February 15th, 2014

Antarctic Dreams – a developing portfolio

I recently returned from an amazing adventure:  Antarctica By Air - A Unique Luminous Landscape Photographic Workshop with Michael Reichmann.

Only three weeks before departure, I was asked to replace an instructor who was unable to go.  Lucky me.  We photographed for five days, and I made 10,000 frames.  I know this amount sounds ridiculous, but the days were very long, the quality of the landscapes and wildlife was epic, and the shooting conditions difficult as we were often photographing from our zodiacs or the ship.  I photographed all images without a tripod, and with little time to deliberate on each composition.  Handholding and using two cameras, one with wide-angle zoom and another with a telephoto zoom, was a constant struggle.  And out of my comfort zone.

I have been editing and post-processing at a frenetic pace, anxious to see, begin to absorb and interpret all that I saw.

Here is a collection of 20 images, chosen only by my spontaneous leaping through my Lightroom catalog.  I am thrilled with the results, but I have a long way to go in my editing.  I plan to develop a portfolio of 40-50 images for a potential ebook, gallery prints and exhibits.

I would enjoy your comments and feedback on this selection.  When I have another set of newly processed images, I will let you know!  As new images are created, I am adding them to my Facebook page, Google+ or 500px.

Enjoy!

Bill

Blue Iceberg, Cierva Cove, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
1/500 second at f/22, ISO 1600

Crystal Iceberg detail, Cierva Cove, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
1/250 second at f/22, ISO 1600

Two Humpback Whales and Iceberg, Cierva Cove, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/1500 second at f/11, ISO 800

Chinstrap Penguin, Hydrurga Rocks, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/180 second at f/19, ISO 800

Penguin at Dawn, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014 January 30, 2014 05:12:32
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/500 second at f/6.7, ISO 800

Iceberg at Dawn, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
January 30, 2014 05:37:39
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/2000 second at f/2.8, ISO 400

Iceberg formations, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula 2014 January 30, 2014 05:54:08
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/350 second at f/8, ISO 400

Iceberg Towers at Dawn, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
January 30, 2014 05:58:54
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/4000 second at f/2.8, ISO 400

Iceberg Sculpture, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
January 30, 2014 21:50:21
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/125 second at f/19, ISO 800

Sunset, Pléneau Bay, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014 January 30, 2014 22:04:34
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/1500 second at f/6.7, ISO 800

Sunrise, Neumayer Channel, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014 January 31, 2014 05:18:22
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/250 second at f/13, ISO 1250

Morning Light, Neumayer Channel, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014 January 31, 2014 07:10:43
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
1/250 second at f/13, ISO 200

Glacier, Paradise Bay, Antarctic Peninsia, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III,
1/6000 second at f/6.7, ISO 400

Glacier and mountains, Scontorp Cove in Paradise Bay, Antarctic Peninsia, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III,
1/3000 second at f/6.7, ISO 400

Calving Glacier, Scontorp Cove in Paradise Bay, Antarctic Peninsia, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III,
1/6000 second at f/9.5, ISO 800

Gentoo Penguins and solar halo, Cuverville Island, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM,
1/250 second at f/22, ISO 100

Gentoo Penguin and two chicks, Cuverville Island, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III,
1/1000 second at f/9.5, ISO 400

Gentoo Penguin colony, Cuverville Island, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
1/250 second at f/32, ISO 400

Chinstrap Penguins, Baily Head on Deception Island, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III,
1/500 second at f/11, ISO 800

Icebergs at Sunset, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica 2014
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2x III,
1/8000 second at f/5.6, ISO 800

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Antarctic Dreams – a developing portfolio”

1. Karpani says:

I am thrilling, too, as you move through your process, Bill. It’s so exciting to be witness to the art of Nature and You!

2. Milind Paranjpe says:

Clicks are nice n specially I liked the image – Ice bergs at sun set…good going all the best…..bill

3. Robert Cole says:

Excellent images Bill! Sounds like challenging shooting circumstances. I especially like Iceberg at Dawn and Penguins at Dawn. Looking forward to seeing more.

Best regards,
    Bob

4. Thanks for your comments. Encourages me to keep plowing through my 10,000 images!

5. Wayne Nelson says:

Great work William, just as I would have expected. Handholding from a boat is not exactly a landscape artists normal coarse of action.

Keep those images coming.

6. Darren Seay says:

Thanks for sharing these wonderful images. This is a very beautiful place that many of us will never see in person. I have learned a lot from reading your articles and observing your work. Keep up the good work!!!

7. Ellen Kinsel says:

You have captured the essence of this amazing place. I was there (gosh, it has been almost 10 years ago) and your photos are definitely among the best at bringing me back there visually and emotionally. Can’t wait to see more and to add the upcoming book to my collection.

8. Brenda Tharp says:

Stunning work, Bill! Of course I am very envious, it is a destination that has long been on my list, but then where isn’t on my list??!! Wanderlust is a deadly disease.

Keep on plowing through your pictures, you are indeed off to a great start with just these.

9. Oh, these are just wonderful. I especially love the second one, Crystal Iceberg Detail.
    It would be a dream to see something like this, and since it will never happen for me, I’m glad there are your beautiful photos to look at and admire. Congrats on a great job.

10. These photos are wonderful. I went on the same trip with Michael Reichman, but we did not fly over the Drake Passage and everyone got sick. Went to some of the same places. Your photographs are wonderful and I also took about 10,000 photos. It will take you some time to get through them.

11. Just keep them coming, Bill. I love the variety — from the huge, stunning ice forms in the water to the intimacy of the penguin looking down at its two chicks. Hope to see some calendars from this as well!

12. Stu Gordon says:

Bill,
    Congratulations on an epic journey. I’ve yet to go there, but I can certainly see from the images you’ve shared that it was probably very easy to take 10,000 frames in five days. I love the light and the textures, shapes and contrasts you captured. I appreciate the fact that you managed to capture these images even though you were out of your comfort zone. Heck, I never shoot without my tripod and like to work at a gentle pace. Sounds as if you had to adapt to a more frenetic pace than you like, but with wonderful results! I’ll be doing some extensive traveling in 2014-15 starting in June (20 countries in 12 months) and hope I can learn to adapt to fast-paced situations as well as you did.

13. Charlie Ondrej says:

Hi Bill,

Fantastic images. My favorites are the ‘Two Humpback Whales and Iceberg’ and ‘Chinstrap Penguin, Hydrurga Rocks’. The missing part of the iceberg on ‘Two Humpback Whales and Iceberg’ looks like a breaching whale and its appropriate with two humpback in the frame. I love the minimalist abstract nature of ‘Chinstrap Penguin, Hydrurga Rocks’.

I would also love to hear more of the back story to some of your favorites once all the processing is done.

Thank you for sharing.

14. Thanks for all of the comments. Nice to see some old friends like you Carol!

I will be writing my next Outdoor Photographer column soon, so I’ll probably write more about my trip. Here is one that relates to Antarctica indirectly…

15. Luis Lopez says:

Gracias por compartir su magnifico trabajo fotografico,son sencillamente espectaculares sus imagenes.A traves de ellas nos damos cuenta de lo hermoso que es nuestro planeta y asi tomar conciencia de conservarlo.GRACIAS….

16. Diane Foulks says:

Stunning. I have always enjoyed and followed your work, learning from and inspired by you quietly in my little corner. I am simply speechless and awestruck…

…except for one note. In a number of these photos, I see Ansel Adams’s influence coming through and feel like I do when I view his photographs.

Thank you for sharing your adventure.

17. Roger Walton says:

A super set of images – I’ll look forward to seeing the next crop.

I’d love to go to Antartica but, short of winning the Lottery, it’s just a dream so I’ll have to enjoy it secondhand.

18. Robyn says:

Stunning images! Fabulous!

19. Thank you for your comments!