Hosta and Waterdrops, Ahwahnee, California 2012

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III__TS-E90mm f/2.8__10.0 sec at f / 32__ISO 100

While tons of photogs flock to nearby #Yosemite to photograph moonbows, waterfalls and dogwood, I have been nursing a bum ankle for the past three week. “Caught” my son’s fast ball during pitching practice just above my ankle bone! The x-ray shows that nothing is broken, but it is badly bruised and still swollen. So…

I bought these hosta plants, and photographed them after watering.
Enjoy and share!

14 Responses to “Hosta and Waterdrops, Ahwahnee, California 2012”

1. twitter.com says:

Subsequent, you ought to decide your theme you want the area to become and additionally
    bring to mind which type headboard could help you
    bring that theme alive.

Feel free to visit my site Wood Headboard – twitter.com

2. Mattie says:

What does anybody know about this? I don’t think there’s a lot more to
    the subject

Look at my web blog – online television (Mattie)

3. Stacey says:

That explains it. I love subtle nuiances of color like that.

Stacey

4. Hi Stacey,

Yes, I need to plant more of them! These are under my purple plum trees!

Bill

5. Stacey says:

Bill, beautiful image and very sharp as others have already noted. I can’t resist the Hosta’s in spring either (I have about 10 planted in my yard). The thing that catches my eye as unusual in the image is the magenta color showing up in the drops. Was there color in the sky above, flowers nearby or maybe on you? Just curious.

Hope the ankel heals up well. Take care, Stacey.

6. I bracketed with f/16 and that wasn’t enough. Yes, a macro thing. The greater the magnification and depth of the subject, the great the need for smaller apertures.

Cheers, Bill

7. Jim says:

That’s very interesting. I would have guessed F8 would have been enough, but since I’m not familiar with the plant, perhaps the image is a bit deceiving re DOF. Or maybe it’s a macro thing :). Regardless, it’s a drop dead gorgeous image! Look forward to more.

8. Thanks all. Hi Brenda! I try not to rest on my laurels… but I don’t get up to the park much.

Jim, I did not select that shutter speed as a first consideration. I selected the aperture as the main consideration for the DOF of f/32 due to the deep depth of the subject.

9. Jim says:

I appreciate the explanation of the TS lens use. I’m even more curious about your decision process in selecting a 10 second exposure for this shot.

10. Brenda Tharp says:

Wow, Bill, sorry to hear about the ankle. We just got back from our Tour in Umbria, Italy – and yes, we were one of the groups to flock to Yosemite just before that to photograph moonbows, flowing water, dogwoods, and such. Sorry you didn’t make it this year but then you have soooooo many wonderful pics of Yosemite already. We all need to catch up to your stockpile! get well soon.

11. John Markus says:

Bill—unbelievably sharp and the shades of green really add to the image.
    Take care of that ankle!

12. Thanks for your comments!

For this image, I didn’t need the Tilt Shift aspect of the lens, but it is a very sharp lens that gives me a “tripod height” working distance. If I had used my 50mm Macro, my neck would still be in a kink! And my ankle more sore!

This lens has been essential for my images:

13. Frank Field says:

William – As usual, impeccable vision and execution. I always want to study images you post and study them closely. Best wishes for a rapid recovery from your injury. Frank

14. charlie curry says:

Bill, using your tilt-shift lens have did you go about taking this beautiful picture. I have a similar lens have found few uses for it. I would love to learn more of your thinking in taking this image. Thanks so much for you beautiful images. I always am inspired by your work. CC