The Beginning of a Portfolio / Morning Light

August 22nd, 2010

iPhone 3GS___1/6400 sec at f / 2.8__ISO 64

Last Monday, my kids went back to school. My 13 year old daughter started 8th grade, and I have the morning run, taking her to her new school which is 20 minutes away from my house. I will be making the drive nearly every weekday until next June. Seeing the I will be driving through beautiful Sierra Nevada foothills, and I am always looking for great light and new photographs, I might as well work on a new theme. I plan on calling the portfolio Morning Light.

For nearly five years, I drove into Yosemite Valley from El Portal to go to work at The Ansel Adams Gallery. And back down the canyon again at the end of the day. What a blessing. I remember that I had no problem getting up early to make that drive, so that I would have time to photograph if so inspired. Well, I won’t have that option on this “morning run,” since we have to leave the house by 7:30, but on my return home, I will have time to photograph.

The photograph here was made with my iPhone – three frames stitched together in Photoshop – on my drive home. This view looks east towards the Ansel Adams Wilderness and the Sierra crest. On this first day of school, I had left my 1DS Mark III behind, unfortunately. I won’t make that mistake again. However, with the extra quality from three iPhone files stitched in PS, and the wonderful Noise Reduction in Lightroom 3, the file would make a very good small print. From now on, my camera bag will be packed when I go to bed, and ready for my morning shuttle service, and my search for morning light.

Let’s see what I can come up with over the next ten months. I’ll keep you posted!

William Neill’s New E-Book: YOSEMITE: VOLUME ONE

Please check out my web site for information on online and private workshops, posters, books and ebooks, and list of galleries that represent my fine art prints.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “The Beginning of a Portfolio / Morning Light”

1. You’ve made some really good points there. I looked on the
    internet for more information about the issue and found
    most people will go along with your views on this website.

my blog :: Motivational app

2. Sounds like a good project!

3. elfpix says:

I just completed a one-year project of daily photography of Buzzards Bay, a quarter mile from my house. I worked around the entire Bay, a different place each day. It was exhausting and amazing at the same time.

Daily discipline combined with trying to see outside the box.

4. […] branch patterns and also see the full, radiating shapes of the leaves.  On Tuesday morning, on my Morning Light run, I think I captured the […]

5. jaiya says:

Lovely pic..look forward to more pix on morning light portfolio.

6. Heather says:

This is going to be EPIC!!! Great shot!

7. Ian Scholey says:

William,

An set of excellent images. On comment though. It puzzles me why you make so much of the ‘Adams’ connection. It suggests that your images need this association to succeed. Many say that a photographer needs to develop their own style and I think that hanging on to historical connections inhibits this (granted you are much further along this path than I am).

I had sort of hoped that your latest eBook wouldn’t mention Adams and could therefore be appreciated on its own.

I sort of understand that the Adams connection is probably a valuable marketing tool, particularly for the US. However I feel that you have a body of work that represents you and perhaps its time to gradually come out of that shadow.

Please don’t feel offended by my comments and I would appreciate your thoughts.

8. Thanks, Merilee, for joining in here!

9. Merilee Everett says:

Amazing photo. I personally like the camera on the iPhone. Some people don’t, but I have found you can do interesting things with it, particularly in how you choose to angle it.

I’m looking forward to your Morning Light series!

10. Looking forward to your upcoming photos. Morning light portfolio sounds like a good name too.

11. Ellen: Of course I’ll enjoy that time with my daughter!

Thanks for your comments, Stacey!

12. EllenK says:

I look forward to seeing some wonderful morning light photos, but more importantly, enjoy that special time with your daughter.

13. Stacey says:

I did something similar for years driving to my previous job. While I wasn’t driving through the Sierra Nevada, there were still many great images to be had in the “morning light”.